It’s been a little while since I wrote to you all, so I’ll try to catch you up and fill in the blanks later. I landed at 7am on the 12th of June and got to work right away, moving into the new apartment. The flight was quite good. I flew ‘premium’ class on ZoomAirlines which, while not luxurious, was quite comfortable with more legroom than economy class on AirCanada. The few days following arrival were quite busy, with moving in, getting unpacked, shopping for groceries and familiarizing myself with the new neighbourhood and surroundings. I think I’m allergic to something in the air as I’ve had sensitive eyes and a runny nose for the last few days … Sandra seems to think that it's hayfever, but maybe it’s something in the water…
It takes me about an hour to get into work with one transfer. For those of you who have experienced it, London’s subway line is a labyrinth of corridors, stairwells and escalators meant to confound visitors and locals alike. I’ve slowly been finding the ‘optimal’ route to take, to shave off a few seconds here and a few seconds there. At the very least, it keeps my entertained through the hour long journey.
I work in Barclay’s head office, located in a modern building in Canary Wharf. I’ve been thoroughly impressed by the ‘induction’ process, which began the first day I arrived with 2 hour tour of the building and orientation of the proper procedures and amenities in the building.
My manager has been great in getting my to speed with the various projects on the go and the people on the team.
Back at home, there was a power outage on Wednesday morning, which wouldn’t have been a problem if it wasn’t for the fact that I had a 8:30am meeting with the senior management team! I woke up panicked at 7am, knowing that I should have been leaving the house at 7am! I was fashionably late for the meeting by 5 minutes, with my only saving grace that I wasn’t the last to arrive.
The last week has been great, and the weather, well, has held up ok. I’m coming up to my first weekend, still with a long list of thing ‘to do’ to get the apartment squared away. I have to get a haircut this weekend, as I’ve been fighting with my coiffe these last few days. Gone are the days of the $13 haircut that I enjoyed in TO …
It takes me about an hour to get into work with one transfer. For those of you who have experienced it, London’s subway line is a labyrinth of corridors, stairwells and escalators meant to confound visitors and locals alike. I’ve slowly been finding the ‘optimal’ route to take, to shave off a few seconds here and a few seconds there. At the very least, it keeps my entertained through the hour long journey.
I work in Barclay’s head office, located in a modern building in Canary Wharf. I’ve been thoroughly impressed by the ‘induction’ process, which began the first day I arrived with 2 hour tour of the building and orientation of the proper procedures and amenities in the building.
My manager has been great in getting my to speed with the various projects on the go and the people on the team.
Back at home, there was a power outage on Wednesday morning, which wouldn’t have been a problem if it wasn’t for the fact that I had a 8:30am meeting with the senior management team! I woke up panicked at 7am, knowing that I should have been leaving the house at 7am! I was fashionably late for the meeting by 5 minutes, with my only saving grace that I wasn’t the last to arrive.
The last week has been great, and the weather, well, has held up ok. I’m coming up to my first weekend, still with a long list of thing ‘to do’ to get the apartment squared away. I have to get a haircut this weekend, as I’ve been fighting with my coiffe these last few days. Gone are the days of the $13 haircut that I enjoyed in TO …

1 comment:
Great update John! Sounds like all is well. You missed a great poker night at my place. :)
Post a Comment