Sunday, February 8, 2009

Snow in London

By now, most of you will have heard of the record snowfall that London received in the last week. Well, my regular 'routine' was certainly affected by the weather. The first snow came last Monday, and I do have to say, that I was really surprised when I walked out the front door at 5:30am in the morning to see several inches of snow on the ground. I should have taken this as a sign and turned 180 degrees and headed straight back home, but I kept on going....

So the first thing that happened was that my train (Northern Line) was delayed due to a signal failure further up the line. 15 mintues later, the backlog was cleared and my train arrived, heading southbound. I got off at London Bridge station (my regular stop) to transfer to my other train (Jubilee Line). Would you know it, another signal failure and my Jubilee line train was delayed. This time, it wasa a long time waiting - at least 30 minutes!! The station attendent told us to 'seek alternative routes' and suggested backtracking to Bank station to catch the DLR. After waiting for 20 minutes without any progress, I decided to take a chance and take the DLR. It took me another 20 minutes to get to Bank station, only to find out that the DLR was also delayed due to a faulty train stuck on the tracks!! Can you believe it! In the end, I made my way back to London Bridge - back to where I started. In the end, it took me 3 hours to get into work. Amazing.. ...

So you might be wondering - why am I leaving for work at 5:30am?! Well, I had a conference call with India (51/2 hours ahead of GMT) at 7:00am, so I had to leave at 5:30am to allow for my 'regular' 1 hour to get into work and a little time to spare to get set up at my workstation.

No comments: